Ya’ll have seen and heard me talk about Auto no-fault a lot over the years. You have heard how I have embraced self-advocacy on my own behalf and encouraging such with others as well.
Some changes were made to the Michigan Auto No-Fault laws that have hurt the protective measures that No-Fault owes its recipients. It has been disastrous and is literally costing lives.
However, not all HOPE is lost just yet.
Here’s an idea to bring awareness to Michigan No-Fault Laws/Changes, an invitation to all Senators, lawmakers, and our Governor to “Have A Heart”.
Each legislator who has voting power on the No-Fault issue, spend one week. Just one…..with a catastrophically injured patient and their family. They have to be a caregiver for that week, working with family or nurse supervising direct care..
Then let’s see how they think at the end. I think before pushing paper and making decisions from behind a desk that impacts so many lives….they should be required to live it in some way and make it work by their own effort and examine what they are expecting (56 hours limit being suggested for example) before making laws for it.
It’s easy to judge if you aren’t living it every moment of every day.
We could call it OPERATION: “Have A Heart”
Here are suggested parameters:
- Live with family in their home for 7 days. 24/7 (live there, sleep there, be available all 24 hours – regardless of activity involved in at the time)
- Provide direct care to patient along with caregiver (regular or fill-incaregiver, or at direction of family)
- No personal tablets, laptop computers, other electronic devices allowed to be brought into home. No use of phones during care time.
- No refusing to do any care needed (due to discomfort, grossness, lack of knowledge, or fear of messing up).
- No mistreatment, verbal abuse, or physical abuse of patient or family.
- No help from anyone outside of what family has immediate access to without you there (no assistants, runners, interns, etc)
- No buying or purchasing anything for yourself (including food or drinks) or the family until after 7 days are completed. They eat and drink what family does on their budget.
Join us at the “We Can’t Wait” Facebook Group
Support House Bill 4486 and Senate Bill 314